Team Burch
Please contact us today – For results tomorrow
1455 NW Irving St. Suite 200, Portland, OR 97209
OFFICE: 503-446-6153 | CELL: 503-756-8210
Licensed in the State of Oregon
 

Lake Oswego Real Estate

About Lake OswegoHomes For SaleCondos For SaleLots / Land
Lake Oswego Real EstateUntil the mid-1800s, Lake Oswego was a sleepy assembly of homesteads and farms between the Willamette and Tualatin Rivers in Oregon. A small population of Native Americans–the Clackamas Indians–had occupied the land, but diseases brought by early explorers killed all but a few. Those who remained ceded their territory to the Federal Government in 1855, and moved to the Grand Ronde Reservation in nearby Yamhill County.

The town of “Oswego” was founded in 1847 by Albert Alonzo Durham. He secured the first Donation Land Claim and named the town after his birthplace in New York. He built the town’s first industry–a sawmill on Sucker Creek (now Oswego Creek). In 1841, iron ore was discovered in the Tualatin Valley, but it was not until 1861 that its existence was an accepted fact. In 1865, the Oregon Iron Company was incorporated. It was the first of three companies that hoped to make Oswego an industrial center, the “Pittsburg of the West.”

With the demise of the iron industry, Oregon Iron & Steel turned its attention to land development. It built a power plant on Oswego Creek from 1905 to 1909, and following the incorporation of the City of Oswego in 1910, sought permission to erect power poles to provide electricity to the community. It sold large tracts of the 24,000 acres it owned to land developers such as Paul Murphy and the Ladd Estate Company, and undertook residential development. In 1926, the first City Hall was built on A Avenue between State and First Streets.

The first iron smelter, in modern-day George Rogers Park, went into production in 1867 and continued to operate intermittently under a second corporation, the Oswego Iron Company, until 1881. It was succeeded by the Oregon Iron & Steel Company, which operated at the old plant until 1885. In 1888, its operators built a new smelter on the current Oswego Pointe site. The new smelter had five times the capacity of the old plant.
At its peak, the iron industry employed some 300 men. In 1890, production reached 12,305 tons of pig iron. Oswego was booming. It boasted a growing population, four general stores, a bank, two barbershops, two hotels, three churches, nine saloons, and Davidson’s drugstore. An opera house proved to be a profitable investment.

Until 1886, when a narrow gauge railroad between Portland and Oswego was built, Oswego was a remote place. It could be reached only by riverboats and narrow dirt roads. The Southern Pacific Railroad acquired the line before the end of the century and widened it to standard gauge. In 1914, it was electrified. The rapid, clean, and quiet trains stimulated residential development in Oswego in the 1920s and 1930s.

Paul Murphy developed the Oswego Lake Country Club to promote Oswego as a place to “live where you play.” By the 1930s, its growth as a year-round living environment was well underway. Murphy built the first water system to serve the west end of the city, and encouraged noted architects to design fine homes during the 1930s and 1940s. This gave rise to Oswego’s reputation as a community of fine homes for people with taste.
Residential development around the perimeter of Oswego Lake accelerated in the 1940s and 1950s. With the annexation of part of Lake Grove to the west in 1960, the name of the city was changed to Lake Oswego. Today, Lake Oswego is considered one of the finest residential communities in Oregon.

Today, the city is known for its excellent shopping and dining, its superior school system and its beautiful Chamber sponsored Village Flower Baskets. Over 2,000 businesses flourish in Lake Oswego, made up of 12% home based, 75% businesses with one to three employees and 13% larger businesses. In its several shopping districts, Lake Oswego teems with trendy shops, great restaurants and boutiques. Situated around a 405-acre lake, Lake Oswego offers some of the most sought-after housing in the Portland Metropolitan Area.

The city maintains 573 acres (2.32 km2) of parks and open spaces. This includes 24 developed parks, one amphitheater, one swim park, one water sports center on the Willamette River, an adult community (senior) center, a public golf course (self-financed), an indoor tennis center, seven outdoor tennis courts, and five picnic shelters. An additional swim park is open to those who live in the boundaries of the old Lake Grove School District. The private Oswego Lake Country Club and neighboring equestrian riding club add to the recreational amenities of the city.



Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.


Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.


Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.

Quick Search
$
$
Email Alerts
Receive daily email alerts for new properties matching your needs.